Game Summaries & Headlines.
Below is a press release from the VHSL that you may have already seen on social media. It looks like we are moving in the right direction which is definitely encouraging! This does not mean, however, that we can begin out-of-season practices just yet. A few bits of information I wanted to share to help dispel any rumors:
- In compliance with the Governor’s plan, it is important to note that before any out-of-season activity can begin, all schools must submit health plans to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) outlining compliance with Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) mitigation strategies. (LCPS will need time to submit and this will not happen overnight.)
- A determination by LCPS has not been made yet but they have the authority to be more restrictive than the VHSL in permitting out of season practices. (LCPS has made no decision yet. Once I am provided information I will share it with you.)
- If LCPS does decide to permit out of season practices. A VHSL physical and the online registration needs to be completed before athletes are cleared to practice. Online registration will not open until June 15th b/c of a glitch with the company uploading the forms. (It is natural that parents were waiting to hear from the VHSL on sports before taking their children to get physicals. Parents should email completed physicals to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org since the building is closed.)
- When we do return to practices things will look different and we will have to abide by the VHSL SMAC guidelines.
I wanted to make you all aware of the restrictions we might still face but I am very happy that the VHSL is talking about us playing again! Again, as soon as I know more I will share with you all. I am also going to put this information out to parents on raidersports.info.
Thu 6/11/2020 2:31 PM
- Kathleen (Kate) Cassidy
See what you can find out and let's chat tomorrow about what we need to do/prep for this...
Assistant Athletic Director, R.A.A.
Loudoun County High School
Kathleen (Kate) Cassidy
Thu 6/11/2020 2:24 PM
Ugh Sent from my iPhone Begin forwarded message:
You forwarded this message on Thu 6/11/2020 3:30 PM
Mike McCall <email@example.com>
Thu 6/11/2020 2:07 PM
- #Media <firstname.lastname@example.org>;
- #Schools <email@example.com>
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 11, 2020
VHSL Reinstates Out-of-Season Practice Activities
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – In alignment with the Governor’s “Virginia’s Return to School Plan” announced on Tuesday, June 9, the VHSL Executive Committee has cleared the way for schools to begin out-of-season practice activities beginning Monday, June 15. By a majority vote taken on Wednesday, June 10, the Executive Committee reinstated the Out-of-Season Practice Rule 27-7-1 and suspended the Summer “dead period” for all athletic teams during the week of June 29 through July 4. This only applies to 2020.
In compliance with the Governor’s plan, it is important to note that before any out-of-season activity can begin, all schools must submit health plans to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) outlining compliance with Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) mitigation strategies.
“The VHSL Executive Committee believes that getting students back into some level of education-based activities will be supportive of their physical and mental health and well-being,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “Allowing students and coaches the opportunity to begin out-of-season extracurricular activities and athletics will allow school communities the ability to begin moving in a positive direction.
“Our student-athletes have been out for over three months. Conditioning and acclimation will be critical as coaches and athletes prepare for the upcoming fall season,” continued Haun.
The VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) is completing work on the VHSL Guidelines for Reopening Sports/Activities. The committee is finalizing the document to ensure it is in alignment with guidelines released by the Governor’s “Return to School Plan” as well as the VDH and the CDC.
Any decisions moving forward will be made in compliance with the Governor’s orders and will continue to be made with the best interest of our student-athletes. Safety will always be our number one priority.
Link to Virginia DO Health Plan Guidance: Health Plan Guidance
Link below to Virginia DOE Phase II plan submission form for public school division
Director of Communications
Virginia High School League